Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Success and Failure, They are Both the Same


This is part of a poem called “IF” by Rudyard Kipling and my mother gave it to me in a card for my 21st birthday, I love it I think its amazing.  I am only putting up the part that I really like, because at the time I was fascinated by the thought that triumph and disaster are imposters.  It’s just as well I took notice of that line at the time because at that stage of life, things were going very well for me, and they haven’t for 3 years or longer now.  But I use this poem to see that when I was successful, that wasn’t really my doing I was lucky, things went well for me, and when I haven’t been doing well, that’s not me either, that’s life, no one would have been able to make lemonade from my bag of lemons.  Its not me its just life and one day my luck will turn back to favor me, and I will not think I’m better than other people, I will know it’s just luck and it comes and goes and we just do the best we can.
If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with wornout tools;

No comments:

Post a Comment