Friday, January 14, 2011

Single & Fabulous Question Mark


When I agreed to do this photo shoot I was told it would be “Single and Fabulous” statement, not “Single and Fabulous?”  That question mark is hostile.  I love that line and the whole episode of Sex and the City, because the confidence of these 4 confident 30 something women is shaken to their collective core when an article attached to a magazine shoot that Carrie agrees to do questions just how fabulous it is to be single forever.
I never presume that I am fabulous, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and apparently compared to a lot of people in my life I am quite fabulous, as I found last year when I became very sick.  My friends tell me that I am fabulous to my face, regularly, supportively, mean it and say it with enthusiastic kindness.  So am a little weary of taking compliments too seriously.  But when I was ill and at my lowest I found out just how many people are envious on me.  Not my friends, they were wonderful as always, but family and people who popular culture says will be there for you, took the chance when I was at my lowest to let it slip just how much they were jealous of me.  Of course they never said jealous, but their real feeling managed to slip around the edges as I was laying sick in bed in hospitable .  Not much to be jealous of I would have thought, when I was sick, unemployed, nearly homeless and overweight, but apparently people worth millions of dollars can still be jealous of me.  They look to have it all on the outside, but on the inside they are as hollow as a doughnut.  And as unhappy as I had guessed they were.  Society rewards the strangest people; those who are selfish and live only for themselves and live totally unbalanced lives seem to end up with everything materially.  I would have thought the universe would have a better way of leveling unbalance selfish behavior but, no they seem to get away with it.
 
 While watching Bridget Jones 2, the Edge of Reason, one of my favorite lines is “So as you can see the incredible truth is the wilderness years are over, Bridget Jones is a love prior no more”   What a wonderful way of describing single dome.  Lost in the wilderness, searching for your way back to civilization, like Dr. Livingstone, wondering around Africa searching for Stanley.  And love is like civilization, calming, nurturing, exciting, not lonely and civilizing.  And bad dates and relationships would be the wild beasts of the jungle and the sense of loneliness that comes from being single, would leave, like finding a town in the middle of nowhere. 
My other favorite line is when she gets back to England after to being locked up in jail for over a month in Thailand, and she arrives back to meet the press and her parents at the airport and her mother says “Terribly sorry for not writing dear, it’s just I’ve been so terribly busy lately.”  How funny, your only daughter is in jail on drugs charges and her mother is so wrapped up in her own life she can’t even find time to write to her let alone visit her.  Sounds like my family. 

2 comments:

  1. I love bridget jones...I think any single person can relate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True I feel deeply about that for bi person like myself.

      Delete